I had never heard of Pastalaya until I was scrolling through Twitter and saw a post about it on Budget Bytes. But I love jambalaya, and this is basically pasta jambalaya. I was excited because it's got that awesome Creole spiciness and delicious sausage, and my girfriend was excited because she loves anything involving pasta.
I absolutely love my Instant Pot. It makes making dinners and meal prepping so easy! I even keep a couple prepped meals in the freezer that I dump in the Instant Pot, set the timer, and come back to a delicious, healty, home-cooked meal. It is literally that easy. The Instant Pot is definitely the best kitcen purchase I've made.
Here's what it looks like in the Instant Pot:
And here it is served up (with Roman wishing he could have some!)
10 mins prep, 15 mins cook time
$7.24 total, $1.81/serving
1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 4 Andouille sausage links 1 lb penne pasta 16 oz frozen three pepper blend 2 cloves garlic 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1 tsp onion powder 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp dried basil 1 tsp dried thyme 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 1/2 tsp oregano 1 tsp salt Freshly cracked pepper 16 oz tomato sauce 15 oz chicken broth (1 can) 1 cup water 2 Tbsp heavy cream
Note: Instead of the frozen pepper mix, you can go the fresh route and chop up a red pepper, green pepper, and 2 stalks of celery. But this is what I had in my freezer. :)
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute and wait for it to say "Warm". Add the butter and olive oil and wait for it to heat up.
- Slice the Andouille sausage, and cut any large pieces in half. Add them to the pot and stir. Let them cook for about 3 minutes.
- Mince the garlic and add them to the pot for about one minute. Then dump the peppers in and stir. Let that cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices to the pot and stir. It should be smelling pretty awesome by now! Add the pasta, tomato sauce, broth, water, and cream to the pot.
- Seal up the Instant Pot and set it to high for 8 minutes. Make sure the knob on the lid is set to "Sealing" and not "Venting"!
- Once it starts beeping (it'll take about 15 minutes total), flip the knob to "Venting".
- Open the lid, smell the delicious pasta, and serve it up! It is delicious on its own, or you can serve it with freshly grated Parmesan, chopped green onions, and freshly cut parsley.